How Much Moisture is Too Much?

It is normal for a small amount of moisture to be present in active homes where plumbing is being used and people are showering, washing and using kitchen, laundry and bathroom services.

However, when excessive moisture is present for a prolonged period, it can lead to a number of issues, including mould, damage to paint, walls and floor coverings.

When performing building inspections, we always use a moisture meter to measure moisture in problem areas.

Normal bathroom floors and walls generally have a moisture reading of around 3.5 to 5.5.  Anything under 3.5 is great and anything above around 7.0 should be investigated further.

Excessive moisture can indicate that there is inadequate waterproofing or a break in the waterproofing barrier. In some cases it can indicate that there is NO waterproofing barrier. This can be the result of poor tiling practices, where the wet area has not been adequately prepared and sealed. It can also be a result of cracked tiles leaking taps and shower fittings, which can occur as a result of age, wear and tear or movement in the foundations.

Ventilation is an important factor in helping to eliminate excess moisture and the growth of mould. Adequate ventilation can be achieved through the use of ceiling fans, vents and windows. Natural sunlight is also beneficial in assisting with ventilation and can help to keep an area dry and moisture free.

For laundry areas, connecting a clothes dryer to an external ventilation will help to reduce moisture.

Bathrooms, toilets and kitchens should have functional exhaust ceiling fans.

If you are concerned about moisture and mould at your property, contact Building Inspections in Perth today on 0409 299 409

inspect moisture mould